The Chair of the Undergraduate Curriculum Committee is:
Elizabeth Welsh, Senior Instructor, email@example.com 494-7110, LSC 3130.
The following documents are available online:
Special Topics Information and Registration Form
New Class or Changes to Existing Class Forms
Minutes of Undergraduate Curriculum Committee Meetings
The MEMBERSHIP of the committee is typically composed of approximately three professors, and three Instructors, noting that any one individual can fill more than one role. Membership includes,
The Chair of the Committee, and a representative from the:
Three biological streams, Ecology & Evolution, Molecular & Cellular, and Organismal
Dalhousie Association of Biology Students (DABS)
Dalhousie Association of Marine Biology Students (DAMS)
Marine Biology Program
and Chair of the Biology Department (ex-officio)
- Hold Regular Meetings in order to:
Review proposals for new classes, and changes to existing classes - The forms for a New Class or Changes to an Existing Class are available in the links above from the Faculty of Science. Completed forms and supporting documents (for new classes) are submitted to the Chair of the Biology Undergraduate Curriculum committee and are reviewed by the Committee, revised as appropriate and forwarded and presented to the Faculty of Science Curriculum Committee by the Biology Undergraduate Curriculum Committee Chair. Ideally proposals should be submitted by August or September in order to be approved by both committees and submitted for entry into the University Undergraduate Calendar for the following year. New numbers to new classes should be assigned following the present scheme which groups the classes by sub discipline.
Discuss information from the Faculty of Science Curriculum Committee Meetings.
Approve and or discuss requests from other departments for new classes or cross-listings that may affect the Biology Department. The final written response is usually done by the Chair of the committee.
- Participate in monthly Faculty of Science Curriculum Committee meetings - Normally the Chair of the Biology Undergraduate Curriculum Committee attends these meetings as a regular member of that Committee. If the Chair cannot go, another member of the Biology Undergraduate Curriculum Committee should attend. The Faculty of Science Curriculum Committee forwards a set of documents for review a week ahead of the meetings. All proposed new classes and changes to existing classes in the Faculty are reviewed by all members of the Faculty of Science Curriculum Committee. Other business includes approving new programs or changes in regulations, etc. The Biology representative reports back to the Department Undergraduate Curriculum Committee on any important issues. The Chair will receive electronic copies of the minutes of the meetings, which should be made available to other members of the Biology Undergraduate Curriculum Committee.
- Coordinate annual revisions to the Calendar: - A copy of the existing undergraduate calendar is forwarded to the Chair of the Undergraduate Curriculum Committee who places it in the office and issues a request for faculty to review and make any necessary changes. The Department Administrative Officer reviews and revises the Faculty lists. The Curriculum Committee is responsible for entering any changes in Department requirements, editorial changes, etc. The Curriculum Chair collates and returns these to the Faculty of Science. One or two revisions are forwarded to the department subsequently for review. Besides the Chair, the Timetable Coordinator also reviews the entries.
- Review applications for waivers to the C- rule: As of September 2010, there will be a formal waiver process to the C- rule (minimum 1000 level grade for admittance into upper level Biology classes). All applications for waivers should outline the extenuating circumstances and be submitted in both paper and electronic format addressed to the Chair of the Undergraduate Curriculum Committee. The Undergraduate Curriculum Committee will review the applications.
- Administer the Special Topics classes - Administration of Special Topics is usually done by the Chair of Curriculum Committee, except for the summer sessions, which are given and administered by SEASIDE. Information about the classes and the registration form are posted on the Biology website. The Undergraduate Curriculum Committee Chair receives the applications, and approves them (or not), referring to the Committee as appropriate. The supervising Faculty member submits the final grade to the Chair of the Committee, who submits it to the Registrar’s Office.
- Provide an annual estimation of enrollment - This is usually done by the Timetable Coordinator and includes the following information for Biology and Marine Biology programs; (i) the number of students enrolled in different classes, (ii) the number of students enrolled in different programs, and (iii) the number of students graduating in different programs.
- Maintain records of meetings and other documents for the department – Minutes of the Biology Undergraduate Curriculum Committee Meetings are recorded usually by the Chair of the Undergraduate Curriculum Committee and posted in a timely fashion on the Departmental web site.
- Maintain Undergraduate Curriculum Committee website information: This is usually coordinated by the Chair of the Curriculum Committee with the approval and participation of the Committee members. This includes the Mandate of the Committee, the Minutes of the Meetings, the Special Topics pages and the Class Syllabi. Near the beginning of each term the Committee requests class syllabi from teaching faculty in the Biology Department and coordinate the collection and online postings of the syllabi.
- Initiate and coordinate reviews of the undergraduate curriculum as appropriate; identify needs.
- Act on other curriculum related issues as they arise.